- This product review will be technical but our clinical trials indicate that patients do significantly with the Opn 1 as compared to the Opn 2 and Opn 3.
- There is an excellent
describing the new
Oticon Opn hearing aids
just above the Wireless Accessories section
on the "Oticon Hearing Aid Pricing" page.
- Oticon recommends Opn 1
for all degrees of hearing loss.
Speech Understanding and Noise Management:
- Oticon Opn hearing aids do use Directionality judiciously... in addition to their Noise Reduction in 360 degrees. Oticon's Open Sound Navigator analyzes the incoming sound100 times per second to remove the noise from 64 channels in the Opn 1 and 48 channels in the Opn 2 & 3. The noise reduction and directionality are good on the Opn 3, better on the Opn 2, and best on the Opn 1. The "maximum noise removal" is greatest in the Opn 1; moderate in the Opn 2, and milder in the Opn 3.
- Spatial Sound
helps to better localize incoming sounds and works well in the Opn 3, better on the Opn 2, and best on the Opn 1.
- Speech Guard
preserves the dynamics of speech and is good on the Opn 3, better on the Opn 2, and best on the Opn 1. ("Dynamics" refers to the intensity differences between the speech sounds).
Sound Quality with Opn 1, Opn 2, & Opn 3:
- The Opn 3 will not be quite as good for listening to music...but I would still rate the Opn 3 as very good.
- The Opn 1 & 2 are equivalent in this regard and will both perform great (both the Opn 1 & 2 accept inputs of 113dB). Higher input capacity allows for better music fidelity.
- The Opn 1 has a 10K bandwidth while the Opn 2 & 3 have an 8K fitting bandwidth.
- The Opn 1 uses 64 processing channels
- The Opn 2 & 3 both use 48 channels.
- More channels enables more precise noise reduction and better audibility.
Programming Opn 1, Opn 2, and Opn 3:
- The Opn 1 has 16 adjustable frequency bands for programming the hearing aid to the frequency contour of each hearing loss. More bands enables a more precise fitting.
- The Opn 2 has 14 adjustable bands.
- The Opn 3 has 12 adjustable bands.
- Each of these models allow for programming 4 separate programs that can be easily accessed with the "on-board' push button or the iPhone App.
Wireless Streaming with Opn 1, 2, & 3:
- Patients who use iPhones (and iPads) love these hearing aids because they do not require a "Bluetooth interface" (Streamer or ComPilot) to wirelessly connect them. This is available in the Opn 1, 2, & 3.
- A Bluetooth Steamer will be available for Android devices in late 2017 (Connect Clip).
- Oticon has designed a small "Made for iPhone" hearing aid with the small 312 battery and it still has excellent battery life.
- Currently Oticon Opn's are the only "2 antenna" hearing aids available today.
the Opn utilize the 2.4 GHz frequency for communication with iPhones, iPads, and iTouch devices. The other antenna (NFMI) enables wireles connectivity between the hearing aids for coordinated processing and allows connection to you television using a TV Streamer. A Mic Clip will be released in the Spring of 2017 that will allow wireless Android connectivity and may also be able to be used as a remote mic.
(on the Apple App Store)
- Search "Oticon Opn" on the App Store to download this Free App.
- In addition to being able to use your iPhone as a remote control, you can also check the life of your batteries and locate your hearing aids using the "Find my Hearing Aids" function. This won't tell you where your hearing aids are in your house but it will tell you what the address is but then you can use an indicator that tells you when you are getting close to their exact position in the house.
Using the "Hearing Devices" control under "Settings"-->"Accessibility"-->"Hearing Devices", you can use your iPhone (no app required) to adjust the volume of each hearing aid individually. The 2.4GHz signal from your iPhone enables stereo content to be streamed to your hearing aids (stereo streaming also works with iPads and iTouches).
Our prices include
- Hearing aids ordered directly from the manufacturers: Phonak, Oticon, and Starkey (no private labeling)
- Hearing aid fitting using proprietary probe microphone Speech Mapping
- 1 year of scheduled follow-up professional care
- 3 years of in-office on-demand follow-up care. No appointment required: Monday - Friday. 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
- 3-year manufacturer's warranty covering repair.
- 3 year manufacturer's replacement warranty in case of loss or physical damage.